Our commitment to helping our clients build their businesses
We have concluded that we should have a core mission to help our clients build their businesses. This is a key differentiator and value proposition that we have that our competition does not.
Helping Clients Grow
We are here to do exceptional legal work for our clients and are 100% devoted to that goal; however, we have to admit that many of our competitors are also devoted to that goal. After reflection, we have concluded that we should also have a core mission to help our clients build their businesses. As we have interacted with clients, we have found that our clients sincerely appreciate this and we have also found – to our surprise – that our competitor law firms do not seem to have this mission, so this is a key differentiator and value proposition that we have that our competition does not.
This means, on the transactional side, making critical connections, thinking of critical insights, and truly adding value to them in their most critical goal; namely, being successful in the business world. Many law firms claim to do this and claim that they “partner with their clients”, but unlike other law firms, we do not just pay lip-service to this; instead, we go all-out to achieve this goal.
This means on the litigation side, that we have assembled an exceptional group of litigators who have extensive trial court experience – and don’t avoid the courtroom, when necessary. But, more importantly, it means that we work with our clients before disputes boil over and result in expensive and protracted litigation. We counsel our clients at the earliest stages, and when litigation does result, our clients are prepared, which makes winning more likely.
Support from our Managing Partner
Our managing partner, and founding partner, Bruce Stachenfeld, has made the building of our clients’ businesses one of his primary activities. He adds value in several ways:
First, he has made himself one of the most “connected” lawyers in New York City real estate. He will not say he knows “everyone”; however, he has relationships with a wealth of institutional and non-institutional parties, including: opportunistic, core plus and other investment funds – REIT’s – developers – investors – family offices – first mortgage lenders – mezzanine lenders and preferred equity providers- and more specialized and eclectic real estate players. A client who seeks a desirable counterparty will invariably find itself benefited by Bruce’s extensive network.
Second, Bruce is a thought leader in the real estate world. He spends a great deal of time thinking, learning and creating intellectual capital for our clients. Of particular noteworthiness is his many years of reading and pondering the great thinkers of management and competitive strategy, such as Peter Drucker (the father of the science of management), Michael Porter (the groundbreaking thinker on competitive advantages), and Jim Collins (author of exceptional business books such as Built to Last and Good to Great). Our clients look forward to working with Bruce on knotty problems such as what the next direction for their company should be, or how to distinguish themselves from their competition, or how to provide useful value propositions in the real estate world.
Our program to help our clients build – and protect – their businesses has had incredible success. Our clients love this service and indeed many are shocked by how effective it is. Our program to help our clients build – and protect – their businesses is a philosophical twist of the dial as to what the role of an exceptional law firm should be. Instead of “just” doing great legal work, we think we should become a core teammate to helping our clients do what they really want to do; namely, to succeed in the business world.
There are various attributes to this program, including the following:
- The use of our managing partner, and founding partner, Bruce Stachenfeld (as outlined above).
- Our Director of Client Development, and her staff, also make the building of our clients’ businesses one of their primary activities. New clients are often amazed by our program because it is so effective and successful.
- Other lawyers in the Firm also work hard to avail themselves and their clients of the benefits of this program. Many of these lawyers who have joined the Firm laterally are pleased not only because they have come to a Firm with people they like working with, but also because they have come to a Firm where their clients can thrive.
- We make innumerable connections for our clients – typically hundreds every year – and many of these connections result in our clients doing successful business with counterparties we have connected them with.
- We meet with our clients regularly to ascertain what strategic counterparties (investors, co-sponsors, etc.) will be of most use to them, and then we mine our extensive database in the real estate world to achieve the necessary connections.
- We regularly meet with our clients to brainstorm for key insights and ideas. Often the primary goal in these meetings is assisting our clients in coming up with innovative ideas as to how they can stand out from their competition.
- Our program is useful to clients of all sizes and strategies throughout the real estate world. Small players benefit hugely from being connected with larger players, who can provide financial assistance to grow their ideas. And large players also benefit greatly, as teaming up with smaller innovative parties is often the lifeblood of how they can grow their platforms. Everyone benefits.
- On the litigation side, that we have assembled an exceptional group of litigators who have extensive trial court experience – and don’t avoid the courtroom, when necessary. But, more importantly, it means that we work with our clients before disputes boil over and result in expensive and protracted litigation. We counsel our clients at the earliest stages, and when litigation does result, our clients are prepared, which makes winning more likely.