- New York University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2003)
- Harvard College (A.B., cum laude, 2000)
Pejman (“Pej”) Razavilar joined the Firm in 2013 and co-chairs the Corporate Real Estate Practice and is a member of the Firm’s Management Committee.
Mr. Razavilar is well-known for his expertise in the area of complex joint ventures and real estate platforms. He regularly advises both money- and operator-side clients on the structuring of real estate operating companies/platforms, REIT platforms, programmatic joint venture arrangements (including GP-capital funds, sponsor-capital funds, and real estate production agreements) and other real estate joint venture arrangements. He also advises clients on structuring employee promote pool vehicles and equity participation structures.
Over the last several years, Mr. Razavilar has advised clients on numerous high-profile transactions involving the formation of various real estate operating companies (including debt and equity REIT platforms), as well as recapitalizations of existing platforms (including in connection with partner buy-outs and business expansions). He is particularly well-known in the area of multi-tiered joint ventures – where, in one or a series of transactions, Mr. Razavilar negotiates the basic real estate joint venture (e.g., for the acquisition and subsequent operation or development of a property or portfolio of properties), on the one hand, and the various up-tier platform arrangements, on the other hand. Mr. Razavilar also has significant expertise in GP-capital transactions and the formation of real estate funds and programmatic arrangements (including sponsor capital funds, GP-capital funds, programmatic joint ventures, and production arrangements).
Unlike most lawyers with corporate expertise, Mr. Razavilar also spends a significant portion of his practice as a “dirt” lawyer and has extensive expertise in the area of lender-side construction lending, ground leases, equity syndication transactions, loan and equity workouts, borrower-side representation on mortgage and mezzanine financing, and seller- and buyer-side representation on acquisitions and dispositions of real property. His broad-based expertise makes Mr. Razavilar a user-friendly real estate lawyer with a keen ability to solve his clients’ problems creatively through outside-of-the-box thinking.
Below is a recent sampling of representations led by Mr. Razavilar:
- GP Capital Platform: Representation of Andrew Chung (former Carlyle Managing Director) in forming Innovo Property Group, a platform arrangement between Mr. Chung and Hong Kong conglomerate, Nan Fung Group. Mr. Razavilar handles virtually all aspects of the on-going operation of this operating platform.
- Sponsor Capital Platform: Representation of client ATCO in connection with the formation and on-going operation of a sponsor capital platform for the making of GP-capital investments in select strategic markets around the United States. Mr. Razavilar has represented ATCO on virtually all transactions made by this operating platform including multiple sponsor and GP-capital investments in NYC.
- ATCO Properties: Representation of client ATCO Properties in connection with the formation and operation of an equity platform formed to develop a multi-phase 70 acre planned community in Charlotte, North Carolina. Mr. Razavilar has represented ATCO on all aspects of the formation and operation of this “city within a city” platform from its inception including the negotiation of property-level joint venture arrangements for ground-up development of the various phases.
- Affordable Housing Platform: Representation an institutional client in connection with an equity investment in a Midwest-based multifamily properties owner, operator and developer platform specializing in both the affordable and market rate sectors.
- NorthStar Investment into RXR Realty: Representation of Colony NorthStar, Inc. (at the time NorthStar Realty Finance Corp.) in connection with the acquisition of an ownership interest in RXR Realty’s portfolio of New York City properties having a value exceeding $6.5 billion and consisting of 108 properties and the launch of a new non-traded REIT platform.
- NorthStar Launch of European Management Platform: Representation of Colony NorthStar, Inc. (at the time NorthStar Realty Finance Corp.) in connection with its launch of its European management platform through a strategic joint venture with an AIFMD-approved asset management manager.
- Mortgage REIT Platform: Representation of an institutional client in a debt and equity investment in a start-up mortgage REIT with a multi-billion dollar targeted capitalization and an intended exit through an IPO.
- Senior Living REIT Platform: Representation of an institutional client in a preferred and common equity investment in connection with the launch of a senior living/health-care REIT, with a targeted multi-billion dollar capitalization.
- Equity Recapitalization for 240 West 35th Street: Representation of ATCO Properties in equity recapitalization of 240 West 35th Street in connection with a 49% equity investment by an Israeli insurance company.
- Halpern Real Estate Ventures, LLC – Broome/Varick Street Development: Representation of our client in the acquisition of an assemblage of properties in the Soho neighborhood of Manhattan in connection with the development of a mixed-use condominium. The acquisition involved 5 separate and unrelated contracts, over 20 equity parties in 5 layers of equity, and mortgage and mezzanine pre-development financing. Subsequent to the acquisition, we handled the refinancing of the acquisition debt, the subsequent conversion of such debt into a majority equity position, the obtaining of a construction loan in excess of $450M and a $50+ million mezzanine loan procured through the EB-5 investor visa program and became the first major New York development to get debt, equity and mezzanine financing all from China.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Razavilar worked at Weil, Gotshal and Manges LLP where he was a member of the corporate real estate transactions group as well as Sullivan & Cromwell LLP where he was a member of the tax group.
Mr. Razavilar is admitted to practice in New York and Florida.
Super Lawyers: New York Metro Rising Star: 2014