PRO BONO AND SOCIAL IMPACT WORK
We encourage all of our lawyers to participate in legal pro bono projects, and the firm regularly organizes social impact events for attorneys and staff to give back to our community. Furthermore, the Firm supports these initiatives by offering our attorneys an hours credit for their pro bono activities.
The Firm’s pro bono efforts are managed and supervised by our Pro Bono Committee, which is comprised of partners, associates, and staff members. The Pro Bono Committee (led by committee chair, Jessica Millett, and working with the Management Committee) sets the firm’s overall goals and policies, meets regularly to consider new pro bono and community investment opportunities, and assists attorneys in finding new pro bono projects.
We are proud that much of our pro bono work reinforces our DEI mission to build a community that cultivates a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture.
To that end, both attorneys and staff are involved in Duval & Stachenfeld’s efforts to help others. Here are some highlights of our recent work:
- Volunteers of Legal Services (VOLS). The firm is proud to be part of the network of pro bono lawyers in the VOLS Microenterprise Project. The Microenterprise Project helps to pair attorneys with existing and aspiring small business owners and microentrepreneurs. We have assisted with lease negotiations, lease renewals, entity formation, choice of entity, contract reviews, and establishing best practices for new businesses.
- Sanctuary for Families U-visa Projects. The firm has been working with Sanctuary for Families for almost 10 years to assist immigrant victims of domestic violence to obtain legal immigration status in order to escape violence and establish stability for themselves and their children. Attorneys meet with these clients to hear their story, prepare the necessary forms and affidavits, and assist them with the application process. Many of the firm’s earliest clients through our partnership with Sanctuary for Families have obtained U nonimmigrant status and are on the path to becoming permanent residents.
- Immigration Equality Asylum Applications. Immigration Equality is one of the nation’s leading LGBTQ rights organizations, and the firm is honored to be part of their pro bono network assisting LGBTQ and HIV-positive immigrants work through the asylum process.
- New York Cares Coat Drive. The firm regularly participates in the annual coat drive through NY Cares. Attorneys and staff have collected and donated coats to help keep New Yorkers a bit warmer during the cold winters.
- NY Common Pantry. The firm has been a proud partner of NY Common Pantry for many years. Attorneys and staff have participated in peanut butter and jelly sandwich-making drives, and the firm has also run non-perishable food (and monetary) donations.
- Holiday Toy Drives. Attorneys and staff come together at the holidays to generously provide gifts for the smallest New Yorkers in need of some holiday cheer. We have been participants in the NY Cares Winter Wishes program, as well as holiday toy drives run through the Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco).
- Financial contributions. In addition to donating time, the firm regularly makes financial contributions to charities and legal services organizations.